Wednesday 17 January 2007

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne

I've just finished this (within the last ten minutes) and desparately need to talk to someone who has read it!
It is a excellent book. But I can't really say much about it. This is part of what it says on the sleeve: The story of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is very difficult to describe. Usually we give some clues about a book on the jacket, but in this case we think that would spoil the reading of the book. We think it is important that you start to read without knowing what it is about.
I wholeheartedly agree with that statement and thus for fear of ruining the book for anyone, do not want to say anything about it. However, I recommend it to (almost) anyone. There is one other clue on the sleeve which indicates that it is not necessarily a fluffy book. This is true, but it is still an excellent book. I suggest if you do intend to read it, ensure that you have someone else around who has either read it or will read it very quickly after you so you can talk about it.
I will be keeping my eyes open for other books by this chap. (And am now going to email the person who gave it to me so that I can talk about it!)

2 comments:

EK said...

I love this book, too....It is powerful!

AdventuringJen said...

Very!
I'm still desperate for my husband to read it so I can talk about it!